Saturday, 18 October 2014

akaDAN documentary

Hey guys!
So here's the documentary on Dan Matthews's journey in Korea. His documentary was actually a project funded on kickstarter and here some information about its project. I think it is interesting to note that the filmmaker of this documentary is also Korean American, but was one the unfortunate one who did not get any response from the birth search.

The documentary is divided in 9 parts of 15mins each. (You can find all the links in the description box on the youtube page of the first video) So I think watching one part each night before sleep is a great way to deal with the materials. ALSO, they made an epilogue series of the documentary. This one includes words of experts and some theory so I think it would be great to watch also, BUT I would like this series optional since we do have already a lot of material to deal with. ( and.. I didn't watch this series yet).
Notes: For PART 2, you can skip at 7:25.

ENJOY!

ABOUT PROJECT
"aka Dan" is a documentary project chronicling Dan Matthews' journey to Korea in summer 2013, centering around his struggles with identity and family during the IKAA (International Korean Adoptee Association) 2013 summit, his first live concert performance in Korea, and his reunion with his Korean birth family. Accompanying the documentary project will be a full-length music album inspired by his experiences. 
I wanted to send a quick personal thank you for taking the time to even check out this Kick Starter page. This has been one of the most emotional and personal experiences i've ever been through. Not only will I be reconnecting with my roots, i'll be meeting my biological family for the first time, including a TWIN brother I never in my wildest dreams expected to encounter.  I'm blessed and honored to have this opportunity, and hope that i'm able to provide an experience that everyone, adopted or not, will be able to relate and identify with. Family. Identity. Roots.  
WHY WE NEED HELP
Your generous donations will help fund a bare bones production crew that will capture this story to the best of all of our abilities. The expenses we are anticipating are: 
• Travel, lodging and transportation in Korea • Crew costs for camera persons, audio engineer, producer • Production equipment rentals • Production insurance • Post-production costs (Editing, art/graphics) • Album production and printing costs • And all of the intangibles that arise during film production 
Our producer has raised just enough money to get us to Korea. He’s taken a leap of faith in me and the journey that we're all about to embark on. He believes that this story is both unique and powerful and needs to be told. We hope that you do too and that you will join us and help us complete the project in the manner that it deserves.

ABOUT FILMMAKERS

Dan Matthews is a Korean adoptee currently living in Los Angeles and working in the entertainment industry. He was raised in the small town of Camarillo, an hour north of LA, with his parents Lynne, Paul, and Jamie (also adopted). He's currently working as a producer for International Secret Agents, an Asian American entertainment and production company owned by Wong Fu Productions and Far East Movement. He's deeply nervous, scared, but above all excited at what is to come and how his life will change post this experience. 
Director's Note: I am also a Korean Adoptee who unsuccessfully went back to Korea in 2002 to search for my birth family. Soon after that, I arrived in LA to pursue a career in film.  Returning to Korea with Dan, over a decade later is both exciting and bittersweet.  I spent many years trying to figure out my adoption story and I am honored to have the opportunity to tell Dan's.  The struggle to create our identity despite our past is a universal experience.  Adoption simply adds another barrier in this process.  My hope is that everyone can relate to this story whether or not you are adopted, or even Asian.  The search for identity is within us all.  -Jon Maxwell

AKADAN docomentary:

AKADAN Epilogue Series: (TOTALLY OPTIONAL)
- Part 2 to 4 seem to have most of the experts point of view/theory on adoption.


No comments:

Post a Comment